Saturday, February 7, 2009

Our Little Thief

Ryker learned a valuable lesson today (I hope)... We had to get some fabric at JoAnn's for Hallie's sewing class. I had all three kids and we were finding something Hallie would like. Meanwhile Ryker found some very appealing red thread he thought he would give to uncle Matt for his birthday today, he stuffed it into his pant pocket, unbenoesed to me. We found some fabric finally and I was hurrying home, two kids teasing each other in the back seat and a baby crying because he's hungry (shocker). I had just unloaded the car seat when Hallie came running out to tell me Ryker stole some thread from the store. Letting out a big sye and very angry at the same time knowing I had to take him back down there, I told him he might have to go to jail (what a great mom, what was I thinking???) We headed back down, I was giving him the lecture the whole way there. I think he had a harder time telling them he was sorry and that he would never do it again, than worrying about a jail cell. But he must have been a little worried because he asked me if they were going to spank his bum. I hate when things like this happen, your heart breaks when they can bearly get out a sorry from the tears, but I hope he never does it again knowing next time they might not be so nice.

5 comments:

Head Over Hills said...

I think he probably learned his lesson. I'm proud of you. I had my three kids out today too. If one of them had stolen something I'm not sure I would have had it in me to drag them all back to the store. That probably would not have taught my kids a very good lesson. I would have waited until the next time I was at the store. Good parenting.

The Cook Clan said...

I think he must have learned his lesson. When I was little I stole something from the store for my doll. To this day I remember being more scared to take the item back and tell the clerk sorry, than I was of getting in trouble with my mom. Lesson learned!

**nicke... said...

that is so sad and so funny at the same time. i love that he asked if they were going to spank his bum. hilarious! good job melissa! i also think it is hilarious that you told him he might have to go to jail. i can see ryker with tattoos all over his arms and back. maybe for halloween you could dress him up as a jail bird... great story! i miss ya. we need to come over and meet your new little ledger. i feel bad that we haven't come over before now. i will give you a call this week.

Michelle Simmons said...

Never to young to learn.. Hehe, but the jail thing might hit a little to close to home.. hahaha!!!! You guys look great!!!

Jill said...

Melissa!!!
I am glad you found our blog!
I have to laugh with you on this one cause Parker(our 4 year old) did the same thing, in Nauvoo of all places and it was a sucker... His mean mom wouldn't buy him one so he was looking out for number one. Justin had a hay day with the lecture and Parks thought for sure the cops would be there to get him. Good times!
You family is so beautiful. I love the name Ledger. So cute!
I will be keepin' my eye on you know. ~~ Jill